Tops tips to ensure your property stays gas safe
Here are six simple steps to help keep your tenants safe and warm in your property. This information has been given out by the Gas Safe organisation and will help you keep the right side of health and safety laws.
1) Only use a Gas Safe registered engineer to fit, fix and service your appliances. You can find and check an engineer at GasSafeRegister.co.uk or call 0800 408 5500.
2) Check both sides of your engineer’s Gas Safe Register ID card. Make sure they are qualified for the work you need doing. You can find this information on the back of the card.
3) Have all your gas appliances regularly serviced and safety checked every year. If you rent your home ask for a copy of the landlord’s current Gas Safety Record.
4) Know the six signs of carbon monoxide (CO) poisoning – headaches, dizziness, breathlessness, nausea, collapse and loss of consciousness. Unsafe gas appliances can put you at risk of CO poisoning, gas leaks, fires and explosions.
5) Check gas appliances for warning signs that they are not working properly e.g. lazy yellow flames instead of crisp blue ones, black marks or stains on or around the appliance and too much condensation in the room.
6) Fit an audible carbon monoxide alarm. This will alert you if there is carbon monoxide in your home.
Unsure how to find a Gas Safe registered engineer? Our quick tips below walk you through the simple process:
Select Find and Engineer from the menu and enter your postcode.
Check that the business has an engineer who is qualified to work on your appliance.
Call 3 – 4 businesses to check prices and availability and go with the one you feel happiest with.
Thanks for reading and if you have any other property related questions please don’t hesitate to get in touch with us – we’d love to help you.
Thanks for reading,
Don’t forget to follow @AlanBattUK on twitter for more lifestyle and property tips.
You can find our details by visiting the website: www.alanbatt.co.uk
Try our new online valuation service http://bit.ly/2luus8Q